Skip to main content

Becoming an Intentional Homemaker




The definition of homemaker is as follows:

1. The establishment or management of a home; duties of a home

2.of or relating to the management of a home.

I however, do not like that definition…homemaking, to me means so much more.

Homemaking is not something to go in to lightly…homemaking needs to be intentional.

I do not ”just” manage my home…I love my home…and everything in it.

Everything I do is done out of LOVE.

Everything involved with being a homemaker stems from my desire to be a mom, a helpmate for my husband. I clean with the intention of making our home peaceful, I bake because I love giving my family food that I have made out of love. We home-school because we feel that It is our job to teach our daughter, not only about God, but about the world that she will soon be stepping into.

Everyone is given a purpose, mine is to be a homemaker, and to do so with love.

There have been many times that I have thought if only I had a “real” job, then I would be helping my family more.

And there is a “little” truth in that statement, I could get a job outside the home and bring a bigger income in, but not nearly enough for me to hang up my apron and walk out the door each day.

Please don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with being a working mom. I worked until the day my daughter was born, and was unable to go back to work as planned, due to her being a preemie. I often look back on that time, and think how even then, God had is hand in me being a homemaker. I will forever be grateful to the parents who have let me watch their children in my home, because without them I wouldn’t be able to be a stay at home mom.

I have tried many times to “get a job” and each time the door was firmly closed. I was constantly looking for a way to bring a contribution to my family.

It took me a while to understand that I was already helping my family by being at home. I took care of the meals, the lessons and all the housework.

When I started looking at my homemaking as how I could bless my family, my outlook changed. I realized that while I was trying to bless them, I was actually the one being blessed.

I was blessed to be able to stay at home and home-school my daughter.

I was blessed to with a husband who works hard to provide for us.

I was blessed with a home to clean, and a family to pick up after.

I was blessed, because I was loved.

I love the season we are in right now! I have been trying to be a blessing to my family by being an intentional homemaker. 

By LOVING each way I can bless them, even if it is making milk-less muffins for my daughter, folding countless loads of laundry, picking up toys and clothes that have been forgotten, taking the time for EXTRA tuck ins at night, and reading books over and over again because they are my daughters favorite.

Sometimes being an intentional homemaker also means I have to look past the mess and realize that for this season, I will NOT have perfectly spotless home, I have to step over the toys and take a deep breath, instead of grumbling that they are “still” on the floor, I need to give my hubby a few minutes of downtime after a long day of work, before asking him to do something or telling him about my day, even though I am ready to talk a mile a minute the moment he walks in :) 

I am still a work in progress…and sometimes I fail.

But each new morning brings His grace, and I wake with the determination that I can and will be a blessing to my home, my family and my friends. 











A Wise Woman Builds Her Home

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Mini Vacation in Pictures

Last weekend, my family and I packed up our car and after stopping to get our nieces, we headed to Branson, for a back-to-school mini vacay! We decided to celebrate the start of another homeschooling year, by going to an indoor water park called Grand Country! This is the 2nd time we have been there, and other then a few things that had changed since our previous trip ( we really missed the falling balloons at the fun spot party), it was just as great The following is our weekend in pictures/videos :) The girls loved the Water Park, and spent most of the time running back and forth between the slides and the lazy river (I liked the hot tub and lazy river the best). While I got sick 1/2 way through the weekend, I can honestly say that the trip was a success, and we will be returning there at the beginning of the year. We were in all need of a break from the car! I needed to visit the restroom and stretch my legs. The girls needed to dance and sing and get a little playtime in b

Having to say Goodbye

Saying good bye to someone is never easy, especially if you know that it may be the Last time you may ever see them, hug them, whisper that you Love them. You want to hold on to them forever and never let go......and then you have to leave...with that doubt in your mind, the whispered lies floating through your mind, taking root, that you were not there enough, that you didn't hug, kiss, or say you loved them enough. It's enough to crush you...enough to make you want to hide away from everyone.....even yourself. This is where we are...my Beautiful Mom is on hospice..and I am trying to wrap my head around that word.. Hospice......such a scary word....its  the knowledge that the end is near, but never knowing when that final day will come.  The past few months we have been making every opportunity to be with her, we knew this was coming, and we were going to make as many memories with her as we could, but there will always be more memories we want to share with her. W

Sometimes showing love is as simple as...

A few ways you can show those around you how much you LOVE them!   Sometimes showing love is as simple as... calling a friend a quick hug in passing  holding your child's hand a few minutes longer  EXTRA tuck-ins at night time an encouraging text message  giving your last piece of candy away (yes, this just happened) a kiss listening to the same stories over and over again  choosing to smile and say yes when its the last thing you want to do making TIME in your day for others  sitting quietly with someone  saying a quick prayer for someone  being a bouncing board.   knowing when to give advice, and when to just listen to them  Put the phone down and look at your friend/family while talking  ask how they are doing  be supportive...no matter what! lighten their load  Showing someone you love them doesn't have to be HUGE all the time. The little things you do will show your family and friends how much they mean to you on a regular b