Skip to main content

Fall

Can you believe that it is already the middle of October? I sure cant. I have been trying to fill every possible spare moment with "fall" things. We have our pumpkins sitting on the front porch, the diffuser is constantly filled with a "fallish" scent, and we are loving the fall parties and bonfires/hayrides! Even with all of the events going on around us to remind me that it is actually indeed fall.....something is missing.

Maybe its the weather, October usually means sweaters and hoodies, tights and boots, but this year its been a little warm for all my favorite fall clothing. It was seriously almost 80 degrees yesterday! I was sweating and had turned the air back on. What is up with that!

Maybe its becasue Fall is the season for change and I, a creature of habit, do not care for change at all.

Maybe its just as simple as this was my Moms favorite time of year and every time I see a leaf fall, I think of her.

It is probably a combination of all three...The heat, the season, and the knowledge that Mom is no longer here to watch the trees change.

I'm crossing my fingers that the weather will start acting like it supposed to, not going to lie, I have prayed for cooler weather to come :)

I have also decided that change can be good. It gets you out of your comfort zone, and makes you look at the world from a new perspective. It causes you to grow. The last few years, it feels like our family has been stuck in a constant season of change. We lost my father 3 years ago this coming December, and this coming January will mark the 1st year with mom gone.

This change in our life has made us weak, so weak that sometimes we didn't know how we would get through another day. But through that weakness,and that season of change, we also grew stronger. Stronger as a family, Stronger in our faith, and Stronger individually.

 We went through a storm, and even though it may have knocked the wind out of us, and we may have lost sight  the bigger picture, we did come through it. We didn't get through it alone. No, if we tried to walk through that alone, we would still be stuck, never moving forward, living in the past.

We leaned on the promise in Deuteronomy 31:6, "... He will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."And true to His word,  He did not fail us. He was with us in the hospital room while we watch my father slip away. He was with us when we sat the long hours while mom was on hospice. He held our hands as we said goodbye, for the last time, to the people who brought us into this world. He walked with us through the fog that surrounded our life during the weeks/months after each funeral. He led us when we couldn't find the strength to move forward. He stayed true to his promise.  He was always there.

 I know that grief takes all forms. Today I smile, but tomorrow may be filled with tears, and that's OK.  the death of my parents was, and still is the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. Our family is still so raw, but I know that even on the worst days, I can get through it as long as I keep holding on to Gods promise.

So during this Fall season, which is my favorite time of year, I will focus on the great memories, pray for some cooler weather, and remember that God is still holding my hand!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Having to say Goodbye

Saying good bye to someone is never easy, especially if you know that it may be the Last time you may ever see them, hug them, whisper that you Love them. You want to hold on to them forever and never let go......and then you have to leave...with that doubt in your mind, the whispered lies floating through your mind, taking root, that you were not there enough, that you didn't hug, kiss, or say you loved them enough. It's enough to crush you...enough to make you want to hide away from everyone.....even yourself. This is where we are...my Beautiful Mom is on hospice..and I am trying to wrap my head around that word.. Hospice......such a scary word....its  the knowledge that the end is near, but never knowing when that final day will come.  The past few months we have been making every opportunity to be with her, we knew this was coming, and we were going to make as many memories with her as we could, but there will always be more memories we want to share with her. W

Our Mini Vacation in Pictures

Last weekend, my family and I packed up our car and after stopping to get our nieces, we headed to Branson, for a back-to-school mini vacay! We decided to celebrate the start of another homeschooling year, by going to an indoor water park called Grand Country! This is the 2nd time we have been there, and other then a few things that had changed since our previous trip ( we really missed the falling balloons at the fun spot party), it was just as great The following is our weekend in pictures/videos :) The girls loved the Water Park, and spent most of the time running back and forth between the slides and the lazy river (I liked the hot tub and lazy river the best). While I got sick 1/2 way through the weekend, I can honestly say that the trip was a success, and we will be returning there at the beginning of the year. We were in all need of a break from the car! I needed to visit the restroom and stretch my legs. The girls needed to dance and sing and get a little playtime in b

Sometimes showing love is as simple as...

A few ways you can show those around you how much you LOVE them!   Sometimes showing love is as simple as... calling a friend a quick hug in passing  holding your child's hand a few minutes longer  EXTRA tuck-ins at night time an encouraging text message  giving your last piece of candy away (yes, this just happened) a kiss listening to the same stories over and over again  choosing to smile and say yes when its the last thing you want to do making TIME in your day for others  sitting quietly with someone  saying a quick prayer for someone  being a bouncing board.   knowing when to give advice, and when to just listen to them  Put the phone down and look at your friend/family while talking  ask how they are doing  be supportive...no matter what! lighten their load  Showing someone you love them doesn't have to be HUGE all the time. The little things you do will show your family and friends how much they mean to you on a regular b