Skip to main content

Best Laid Plans

Plans....

We make them, prepare for them, and we expect to see them through.

Then life happens, and everything you have planned, gets thrown out the window.

That is what happened this week for our family.

My daughter had a project due for her co-op class, and we had a friend who lent us a cut out castle background so she could use it, and it is sitting, in the garage, not being used.

I bought all of the things needed, except the light saber, that was thankfully lent to us by another on of our friends, for my daughters Halloween costume. So far she hasn't even been able to try everything on together.

I scheduled today off from my job over a month ago, so we could attend as a family, a special service at our home church. I am currently sitting in my bed under, a mountain of blankets, with a pile of used tissues and Ricola wrappers right next to me. Needless to say we wont be going anywhere tonight.

Tomorrow is Halloween, and while I know this can be touchy subject, as of now, my husband and I do allow our daughter to dress up and collect candy from a few homes on our street.

This year she is going as Rey from Star Wars....or at least we hope she will be going as Rey. As of right now, we are planning a back up option just in case she is still not a hundred percent tomorrow.

Not sure why I though having a costume party at a different date would be a great back up plan, but she liked the idea, and if it will make her feel better, then I am all for it :)

Our plans do not always work out the way that we want them too. We are forced to adapt to what is happening in our life on any given day, and sometimes that is easier said then done.

I love having plans, I am a planer, it drives me crazy when everything is up in the air! I love being able to know what is going on, at any given time. I LIVE by my planner. If it is not in my planner, then chances are I will forget about it or it just wont get done.

In other words I am LOST with out it!

So when plans change, I get a little out of sorts.

However this week/end, I have realized that sometimes when plans change, it can be for the best.  Our family has needed rest, we have needed to slow down, and this week/end we were literally forced to do just that.

Its not about what we have missed by our plans being changed, its about what we have gained becasue they were changed.

Waking up late and snuggling under covers, watching old TV shows (our family is LOVING The Dick Van Dyke Show right now). Reading books with little miss, having long talks about absolutely nothing at all, spending time just laughing with my husband about crazy stuff we did when we dated.
 Taking a break from moving from one activity to another. This has been the 1st week that I haven't been rushing from one place to another. It has been nice to take a break, and let everything but my family be on the back burner.

I'm not saying it has been an easy week/end, no it is never easy when you are fighting an infection. We have spent plenty of time just laying in bed, reading quietly, or talking, and just basically letting our bodies heal.

We may not get to go to our special service tonight, or go trick or treating tomorrow. My house may be on the verge of  what I like to call a "tornado watch," but.....sometimes we just need rest.....so that is what we have done.

We have rested, and we are slowly getting better :)
 




























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Having to say Goodbye

Saying good bye to someone is never easy, especially if you know that it may be the Last time you may ever see them, hug them, whisper that you Love them. You want to hold on to them forever and never let go......and then you have to leave...with that doubt in your mind, the whispered lies floating through your mind, taking root, that you were not there enough, that you didn't hug, kiss, or say you loved them enough. It's enough to crush you...enough to make you want to hide away from everyone.....even yourself. This is where we are...my Beautiful Mom is on hospice..and I am trying to wrap my head around that word.. Hospice......such a scary word....its  the knowledge that the end is near, but never knowing when that final day will come.  The past few months we have been making every opportunity to be with her, we knew this was coming, and we were going to make as many memories with her as we could, but there will always be more memories we want to share with her. W

Our Mini Vacation in Pictures

Last weekend, my family and I packed up our car and after stopping to get our nieces, we headed to Branson, for a back-to-school mini vacay! We decided to celebrate the start of another homeschooling year, by going to an indoor water park called Grand Country! This is the 2nd time we have been there, and other then a few things that had changed since our previous trip ( we really missed the falling balloons at the fun spot party), it was just as great The following is our weekend in pictures/videos :) The girls loved the Water Park, and spent most of the time running back and forth between the slides and the lazy river (I liked the hot tub and lazy river the best). While I got sick 1/2 way through the weekend, I can honestly say that the trip was a success, and we will be returning there at the beginning of the year. We were in all need of a break from the car! I needed to visit the restroom and stretch my legs. The girls needed to dance and sing and get a little playtime in b

Giving Up Control

Four days until our family leaves for a mini vacation to Branson.....only four days! I have actually been counting down for the last month! My hubby got the suitcase down and I have little piles of folded laundry sitting around the house, just waiting for me to pack them in the suitcase for our vacation. I am SO ready to leave! I have high expectations for this vacation. a weekend of reading, watching my daughter and nieces have fun at the indoor water park at Grand Country , and spending some quality time with my hubby! I have lists of what needs to be done, what should be packed and in which bags, and I have already picked out some new books that I really want to read while I relax! I have it all planned out! I know I'm not the only one who packs way a head of time, has great expectations of what the days ahead will hold for them and their family and drives everyone around them crazy while they are in "preparing mode"...at least I hope I am not the onl