Skip to main content

Missing Church

Who else has been MISSING going to church in person?
I know I sure have! We have been blessed during this time with leadership who went out of their way to make sure that our church family stayed connected. We had online services, Parking lot Services, facebook groups to help us see/ interact with others, our youth had zoom calls, and we just finished up a month of Wednesday Night Life Groups. The support was amazing.

And yet...I still longed to be INSIDE our church. Not because we have to be in a building to feel Gods spirit, but because there is just something about being surrounded with those of like faith, and worshiping TOGETHER in the same place.

After almost 3 months of not being able to walk into our church building, and see and worship with our church family, I was so EXCITED when it was announced that we would be able to go back to church. While we have to adhere to guidelines and things are different, and will be for awhile, it is still AMAZING to be able to physically be there.

Before this pandemic, our lives were crazy hectic. I was struggling with a yet to be diagnosed autoimmune disease, which made most days difficult for me to get through with out being burnt out and unable to function. We were in the midst of preparing for an iceskating show that we LOVE, but took a lot of time and effort on our daughters part ( I just drove and showed up), and we were the only caretakers for my FIL who lived an hour away. To say that we were lightning the candle at both ends would be an understatement.

Something had to give...So we took ourselves off the church calendar, we told everyone we were stepping back till the craziness subsided, and while I justified putting church on the back burner "just for this season" It has been something I have regretted.

The last service our church had, I was sick, my daughter was tired and stayed home with me, and my hubby was the only one who made it that Sunday.

Then the world stopped. We didn't have any excuses, we didn't have anywhere to be...we were in a holding pattern for however long the powers that be chose to keep us there.

It was then that I realized what I had missed. I had missed walking into a church filled with people who loved our family. I missed feeling that quiet hush before the spirit fell. I missed pouring out my heart (yes we can do this at home as well), lifting my hands and just feeling the sweet presence of God flood over me. I missed it all.

But in reality...we had already been missing it for quiet a while. We had put what was supposed to be our lifeline, on the back burner, even if just "for a season."

Being forced to stay at home, has made us realize how privileged we are that we GET to go to church. We GET to be a part of something bigger then ourselves. We GET to be surrounded by our church family and friends.

These three months of being at home, has had its ups and downs...but it has made us STOP and take a look at what is important in our lives.

Last Sunday I was sick. I was tired. all I wanted to do was roll over and just stay home...but then God gently reminded me of the last time I had stayed home for those same reasons.
I am thankful for His prompting. I am thankful for the blessing and reassurance I personally received by being in church.

Lord, please keep prompting us, keep reminding us of where we have been, help us never to forget what it feels like to not be able to go to church, not because we chose not to, but because we were forced to stay away. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Having to say Goodbye

Saying good bye to someone is never easy, especially if you know that it may be the Last time you may ever see them, hug them, whisper that you Love them. You want to hold on to them forever and never let go......and then you have to leave...with that doubt in your mind, the whispered lies floating through your mind, taking root, that you were not there enough, that you didn't hug, kiss, or say you loved them enough. It's enough to crush you...enough to make you want to hide away from everyone.....even yourself. This is where we are...my Beautiful Mom is on hospice..and I am trying to wrap my head around that word.. Hospice......such a scary word....its  the knowledge that the end is near, but never knowing when that final day will come.  The past few months we have been making every opportunity to be with her, we knew this was coming, and we were going to make as many memories with her as we could, but there will always be more memories we want to share with her. W

Our Mini Vacation in Pictures

Last weekend, my family and I packed up our car and after stopping to get our nieces, we headed to Branson, for a back-to-school mini vacay! We decided to celebrate the start of another homeschooling year, by going to an indoor water park called Grand Country! This is the 2nd time we have been there, and other then a few things that had changed since our previous trip ( we really missed the falling balloons at the fun spot party), it was just as great The following is our weekend in pictures/videos :) The girls loved the Water Park, and spent most of the time running back and forth between the slides and the lazy river (I liked the hot tub and lazy river the best). While I got sick 1/2 way through the weekend, I can honestly say that the trip was a success, and we will be returning there at the beginning of the year. We were in all need of a break from the car! I needed to visit the restroom and stretch my legs. The girls needed to dance and sing and get a little playtime in b

Giving Up Control

Four days until our family leaves for a mini vacation to Branson.....only four days! I have actually been counting down for the last month! My hubby got the suitcase down and I have little piles of folded laundry sitting around the house, just waiting for me to pack them in the suitcase for our vacation. I am SO ready to leave! I have high expectations for this vacation. a weekend of reading, watching my daughter and nieces have fun at the indoor water park at Grand Country , and spending some quality time with my hubby! I have lists of what needs to be done, what should be packed and in which bags, and I have already picked out some new books that I really want to read while I relax! I have it all planned out! I know I'm not the only one who packs way a head of time, has great expectations of what the days ahead will hold for them and their family and drives everyone around them crazy while they are in "preparing mode"...at least I hope I am not the onl