Skip to main content

Why watching "Whatever the Bleep you want" is not always the best idea.


I love to set back and relax while watching a movie. Sometimes you just need to escape and
not have to think about anything, and watching a movie in the comfort of your home, curled up on the couch with your family  is just the thing, especially after a long day. Wouldn't it be nice if you could find a movie that the WHOLE family could watch. A movie that you don't have to worry about fast forwarding scenes, or pushing the mute button (always a few seconds AFTER the swear word has been said). How nice would it be to pick a movie, pick out what you want to see in that said movie, and watch without a care in the world? It sounds too good to be true, doesn't it?

Enter Vid-angel! A service that can do all that and Much more...their catch phrase "Watch whatever the bleep you want" is catchy, and makes you want to try it out.. Read on to get my opinion on this popular filtering service.

I was so excited to try this out. not only was this app going to let us watch the movies we liked, but it was also going to open up a whole new world of movies and TV shows that we had previously stayed away from. We are a pretty conservative family when it comes to what we watch/listen too, so you can see why this would be great for our family.  For those who don't know what Vid-Angel is, let me explain. Vid-angel is an app with a paid subscription, that allows you to sync with your paid streaming subscriptions such as Prime Video, Netflix. You can download the app to your phones, smart TV's, laptops,  and tablets. You can then pick out what show you want, and set the filters. It allows you to filter out any and everything you can think of. For instance you can filter out kissing, sex, nudity, swear words, graphic content, and the list goes on and on. SERIOUSLY...the filter list is amazingly long...they even have sub filters! I was really impressed with the filtering system. You can pick and choose to get rid of everything, or you can use the sub filter to break it down even more. If you put a filter on for swearing, they will edit the word and there will be a silent moment where the swear word was. if you have edited kissing/sex/nudity, they cut the scenes out completely. It will just seem like a small blip in the show.


After searching and reading up on Vid-Angel, I obviously had to have it. and even better, they were offering a free month. Ummm yes please, where do I sign up! All I could think about was how many shows we could watch as a family now. I made a list...yes I know it sounds crazy, but I haveseen so many previews of shows that looked like it had a great story line, but because of the rating would never watch it.

I signed up and eagerly set up the app on all the tablets, phones, and laptops in our home. In hindsight I was a little over eager and should have tried it on one tablet first.

Here is where it gets interesting...at least for me.

I don't have a lot of time to actually watch shows, which I seemed to temporarily forget when I was making the list of MUST see shows. We lead a pretty busy life between work, homeschooling, and running our business...throw in church, ice skating, and other obligations, and I am lucky if I get to sit down and watch a full episode of a show on Netflix...let alone find time to watch the long list that I just made.

I kept rationalizing that it was still going to be great...even if we we were only able to watch a few shows a week it would still be worth it. We would't have to worry about questionable scenes, swear words, or anything else we decided to filter out. It was going to be great!

Or so I thought!

I picked out a show...set my filters...and was about to start watching it when I looked at what I would be watching and hearing. Vid angel has this neat little comparison bar that lets you see a line of what scenes and words you have filtered out with  the new running time compared to what you would have heard and seen if you had just watched it unfiltered.

What a neat idea....they want you to see what they are editing out for you.

The only thing was...by the time I put all the filters I wanted, there wasn't much left of the show. It cut out over half of the show.

Which made me stop and think...Why would I want to watch/support something that needed to be so heavily edited.  It was at this point in time,  that my husband and I talked about how/if we would use this service, if it was worth the money every month to watch something that we would have to filter so heavily.  We both came to the conclusion that this was NOT something that our family had to have.  While it is awesome that this is an options out there for Christians, and I applaud the fact that they have made this available. We just don't feel like it is something worth putting our money, and more importantly our TIME into. This does not mean if they add new shows that can be filtered (like more then only one season of NCIS) that we wouldn't try it again at some point. It just means at this time in our life, it is not a need for us.

This is my PERSONAL  opinion, and I know quiet a few people who Use and LOVE this app. This is not meant to dissuade anyone from trying this filtering service (if you are wanting to try it, they have 30 days free trial going on now, check it out and see if it is something you and your family can utilize), it has some great points, and I can see where the appeal is.

At this point in our life our family is striving to "cultivate the lovely" in our home which means, less electronics/TV and more reading as a family, more game nights, more hanging out with friends and families, and most importantly learning how to see Gods work in our everyday life. Asking each other questions such as...

"How have you been kind today?"
"What was the high point/low point of your day?"
"Did you read anything interesting today?"
 and most importantly...."Where did you see Jesus today? "

These are the types of things we want to hear about, and cultivate in our family.

Not..."what did you watch today?"

I LOVE this quote by Charlotte Mason, and it is one that I am taking to heart with my own child.

" An observant Child should be put in the way of things worth observing." 

What a wonderful thought! What do we, as parents, want our children observing? Nature, the beauty that surrounds us everyday, great works of literature and music...these are the things I want my daughter to observe, and what we are striving to accomplish in our own home.

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Having to say Goodbye

Saying good bye to someone is never easy, especially if you know that it may be the Last time you may ever see them, hug them, whisper that you Love them. You want to hold on to them forever and never let go......and then you have to leave...with that doubt in your mind, the whispered lies floating through your mind, taking root, that you were not there enough, that you didn't hug, kiss, or say you loved them enough. It's enough to crush you...enough to make you want to hide away from everyone.....even yourself. This is where we are...my Beautiful Mom is on hospice..and I am trying to wrap my head around that word.. Hospice......such a scary word....its  the knowledge that the end is near, but never knowing when that final day will come.  The past few months we have been making every opportunity to be with her, we knew this was coming, and we were going to make as many memories with her as we could, but there will always be more memories we want to share with her. W

Our Mini Vacation in Pictures

Last weekend, my family and I packed up our car and after stopping to get our nieces, we headed to Branson, for a back-to-school mini vacay! We decided to celebrate the start of another homeschooling year, by going to an indoor water park called Grand Country! This is the 2nd time we have been there, and other then a few things that had changed since our previous trip ( we really missed the falling balloons at the fun spot party), it was just as great The following is our weekend in pictures/videos :) The girls loved the Water Park, and spent most of the time running back and forth between the slides and the lazy river (I liked the hot tub and lazy river the best). While I got sick 1/2 way through the weekend, I can honestly say that the trip was a success, and we will be returning there at the beginning of the year. We were in all need of a break from the car! I needed to visit the restroom and stretch my legs. The girls needed to dance and sing and get a little playtime in b

Giving Up Control

Four days until our family leaves for a mini vacation to Branson.....only four days! I have actually been counting down for the last month! My hubby got the suitcase down and I have little piles of folded laundry sitting around the house, just waiting for me to pack them in the suitcase for our vacation. I am SO ready to leave! I have high expectations for this vacation. a weekend of reading, watching my daughter and nieces have fun at the indoor water park at Grand Country , and spending some quality time with my hubby! I have lists of what needs to be done, what should be packed and in which bags, and I have already picked out some new books that I really want to read while I relax! I have it all planned out! I know I'm not the only one who packs way a head of time, has great expectations of what the days ahead will hold for them and their family and drives everyone around them crazy while they are in "preparing mode"...at least I hope I am not the onl