Skip to main content

Kids and Social Media


Kids these days are very social media advanced...I still remember having to wait for AOL to dial up on the family computer that was located in the living room of my childhood home. Now, every time I look around I see kids with a cell phone, laptop, or tablet. 

My own daughter has a phone, and while she has begged me more than once for a facebook account, she will not have one until she is old enough (read more mature and responsible) to have one. I did give in and let her have Instagram, but only because it gives us the option to link our accounts together...which is an awesome feature (thank you Instagram). it allows me to keep tabs on who wants to follow her, who she is following, and what she and others are writing on her Instagram page. While this does mean that I have a TON more dings on my phone, none of which are for me, it's all good, because it allows me peace of mind.

While I have had some who disagree with my choice of letting my daughter have Instagram, for the most part, it has not been a problem. She is responsible and always asks before she gets on it, and sometimes she will even check with me before posting a picture. She is allowed to follow family and friends ONLY (with the exception of Bethany Hamilton, My daughter loves her, and I think she is a pretty good role model, so we allow her to follow her). We have had a few people we don't know ask to follow my daughter, but hey, that's what the delete button is for.

And yes we have used it :) 

When we decided that she could have Instagram, we went over the rules with her. We have total access to all her electronics and know the password for each one. If we feel like she is not being responsible then she will lose her privilege of having an IG account. so far we have had no issues (keeping my fingers crossed)!

I found this great blog on how to monitor your kid's social media, and while she only has one social media account (IG), I found it was a great read!

Check it out here

What is your stance on Social media and children? DO you allow some of it, all of it, or none at all?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Having to say Goodbye

Saying good bye to someone is never easy, especially if you know that it may be the Last time you may ever see them, hug them, whisper that you Love them. You want to hold on to them forever and never let go......and then you have to leave...with that doubt in your mind, the whispered lies floating through your mind, taking root, that you were not there enough, that you didn't hug, kiss, or say you loved them enough. It's enough to crush you...enough to make you want to hide away from everyone.....even yourself. This is where we are...my Beautiful Mom is on hospice..and I am trying to wrap my head around that word.. Hospice......such a scary word....its  the knowledge that the end is near, but never knowing when that final day will come.  The past few months we have been making every opportunity to be with her, we knew this was coming, and we were going to make as many memories with her as we could, but there will always be more memories we want to share with her. W

Our Mini Vacation in Pictures

Last weekend, my family and I packed up our car and after stopping to get our nieces, we headed to Branson, for a back-to-school mini vacay! We decided to celebrate the start of another homeschooling year, by going to an indoor water park called Grand Country! This is the 2nd time we have been there, and other then a few things that had changed since our previous trip ( we really missed the falling balloons at the fun spot party), it was just as great The following is our weekend in pictures/videos :) The girls loved the Water Park, and spent most of the time running back and forth between the slides and the lazy river (I liked the hot tub and lazy river the best). While I got sick 1/2 way through the weekend, I can honestly say that the trip was a success, and we will be returning there at the beginning of the year. We were in all need of a break from the car! I needed to visit the restroom and stretch my legs. The girls needed to dance and sing and get a little playtime in b

Giving Up Control

Four days until our family leaves for a mini vacation to Branson.....only four days! I have actually been counting down for the last month! My hubby got the suitcase down and I have little piles of folded laundry sitting around the house, just waiting for me to pack them in the suitcase for our vacation. I am SO ready to leave! I have high expectations for this vacation. a weekend of reading, watching my daughter and nieces have fun at the indoor water park at Grand Country , and spending some quality time with my hubby! I have lists of what needs to be done, what should be packed and in which bags, and I have already picked out some new books that I really want to read while I relax! I have it all planned out! I know I'm not the only one who packs way a head of time, has great expectations of what the days ahead will hold for them and their family and drives everyone around them crazy while they are in "preparing mode"...at least I hope I am not the onl