Skip to main content

A Modified Adventure in Baking

Today is Heart rehab day in the Gregory household, which is why I am up at 5:30, popping Milk-less muffins into the oven. They are quick and easy to make, I can control what goes into them, and they will give my tired family something that they can grab and eat on the way.

 Baking for me is an outlet, one I have had to curb since my hubby's heart attack. Gone are the days of Cinnamon rolls, cakes, special cookies, and loafs of homemade bread. Instead we have been eating more whole foods, and trying to watch everything that we bring into our home. It has been hard, and I wont lie, I have slipped up and failed. just the other day I thought, "one meal won't matter"...unfortunately everyone in my family started feeling icky after eating that one meal.

Its just not worth it.

For someone like me, who Loves to bake, and cook from scratch, who finds joy in making something that her family loves, it has been a struggle. One I have cried about, talked about in great length to my friends about, and suffered over.

 I have LOVED to bake since I was a child, something that I have passed on to my daughter, and it seemed like something I identified with was being taken away from me. This morning as I got up early, I was so excited because I got to bake for my family. I did have to modify my recipe a little to make it healthier for my hubby, but I was still baking. And do you know what... it felt GREAT!!! I may not be able to bake every day, and have my family eat what I have lovingly made for them, unfortunately that season of our life has passed, but I can still on occasion find, or modify recipes that they can eat. I am always looking for low calorie, low carb, heart healthy recipes, and while it may take me a while to find some "Great" ones, I am slowly building up my recipe box. This family's adventure in baking is not over....its just been modified a little, and that's OK.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Having to say Goodbye

Saying good bye to someone is never easy, especially if you know that it may be the Last time you may ever see them, hug them, whisper that you Love them. You want to hold on to them forever and never let go......and then you have to leave...with that doubt in your mind, the whispered lies floating through your mind, taking root, that you were not there enough, that you didn't hug, kiss, or say you loved them enough. It's enough to crush you...enough to make you want to hide away from everyone.....even yourself. This is where we are...my Beautiful Mom is on hospice..and I am trying to wrap my head around that word.. Hospice......such a scary word....its  the knowledge that the end is near, but never knowing when that final day will come.  The past few months we have been making every opportunity to be with her, we knew this was coming, and we were going to make as many memories with her as we could, but there will always be more memories we want to share with her. ...

Bread Baking Adventure

Lets talk about bread...... I have a love/hate relationship with the stuff. I LOVE the taste of it, but I HATE what it does to me. Lately I have been on a search for healthier foods for me and my family, and since my daughter has a milk allergy, I have focusing most of my searches around what she needs the most ( or in this case what she cant have- milk based products) I have come up with a few great milk-less recipes that we love, like this Milk-less Pancake Recipe  and this awesome milk-less Muffin base that we use all the time. I love mixing up the add-in ingredients to make different muffins that my daughter can enjoy. In an attempt to know what we are putting in to our bodies, I have started making most of our snacks/meals from scratch...and while it takes a little more time and effort, I think it is worth it in the long run. I LOVE to bake, but I am not that great of a bread maker...I don't even own a bread machine! I can make pumpkin bread and sweet breads.......

For Better or For Worse

In just a few short days I will have been married to my best friend for 17 years!! The last 17 years have flown past us, and I find myself drifting back and reminiscing about our life together. This man, that I have given my heart to, that I look up to, that leads our family, that LOVES me for who I am....he is mine. For better or for worse :) A brief summary of our life together just so you can know how awesome he is. On our 1st date, I collapsed and wound up at the ER with Meningitis. He stayed with me in the ER and then came over EVER day to read to me (This is when I fell in love with him). When I wound up dehydrated and had to go get fluids, he went with me! When I freaked out because  they needed to take more blood, he held my hand (pretty sure I broke some fingers...I am TERRIFIED of needles) He stuck with me. When we got engaged and I turned into a bridezilla...Ok maybe not that bad, but I was super stressed, he just said: "whatever you want." He stuck w...