Skip to main content

Friday the 13th


It is Friday the 13th.....can you believe that! Even just saying Friday the 13th brings back memories from when I was younger. Hanging out with my sisters and whenever Friday would fall on the 13th, we would want to do something spooky! I'm sure we are not the only ones who did crazy stuff like that?

The moment we found out that Friday was on the 13th, we would start planning....I remember asking mom  if we could have a sleepover, and invite a bunch of friends to have a "fright night", and we would plan everything from games, food, and even the music we wanted to play. We had SO much fun planning those sleep overs, and my mom never limited us to how many we could invite over, so most sleep overs had between 10-12 girls :) we always had fun.

Now to give a little back ground story....My parents were pretty strict on what they allowed into the house. we were NOT allowed to watch scary movies, or listen to certain styles of music. Which I am so thankful for now, because My hubby and I are the same way :) they led by example, and while when we were younger we did want to watch all the stuff our friends did, and listen to the same type of music, but my parents were more concerned with shepherding our hearts, and making sure that we had a firm spiritual foundation to stand on, than what was popular at that moment in time!

So when I said we had "fright nights" what I should have said is that we had epic sleepovers, with tons of fun and games, and we may have even got around to watching Abbot and Costello meets Frankenstein :) not the Friday the 13th fun you had imagined, right?  It may not have been filled with horror, but to us girls, our sleepovers were always a ton of fun.

Its funny how things like that pop into your mind, when you least expect it.

Today we model the same type of caution that my parents modeled, we are very strict on what we allow in our home, not only for Olivia, but also for what my husband and I watch.

We have chosen not to allow anything that could bring fear into our home.  our family has dealt with fear, and it is something I never want to walk through again. You can read about our reasons behind our choice here! Fear has no place in a family based on Love, and I will not knowingly invite it into my home. 

Now I am not saying if you watch scary movies, you are doing something wrong. I am only saying that for our family we have chosen not to watch certain shows.

Today is Friday the 13th, and while we do not have a night of scary movies planned out, we do have plans. Our night will revolve around our family, my hubby and I taking care of our sick little girl, and while we may watch a movie tonight, it will be age appropriate, and something that we can all enjoy together.

On this Friday, the 13th, if you are looking for something fun to do, I hope you will chose LOVE over fear. Because that is really what this is all about.

 The Bible tells us that "...God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of...LOVE"!    

 I LOVE my family, and I dont want to allow anything in that may cause uncertainty, fear, or guilt. Why bring something in that can and will cause these things. By setting limits, and being on the same page with my hubby, our family has weeded out shows and books that are not edifying to Christ, and that do not bring us closer to him, but that may/will  bring a sense of fear or uneasiness to our home. It was hard, and I STILL struggle with it from time to time...not going to lie about that! But I know that EVERY struggle that I walk through is shaping me and leading me to the path that I was designed for!



"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of LOVE, and of a sound mind."

                                                                                                                                   2 Timothy 1:7 













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Having to say Goodbye

Saying good bye to someone is never easy, especially if you know that it may be the Last time you may ever see them, hug them, whisper that you Love them. You want to hold on to them forever and never let go......and then you have to leave...with that doubt in your mind, the whispered lies floating through your mind, taking root, that you were not there enough, that you didn't hug, kiss, or say you loved them enough. It's enough to crush you...enough to make you want to hide away from everyone.....even yourself. This is where we are...my Beautiful Mom is on hospice..and I am trying to wrap my head around that word.. Hospice......such a scary word....its  the knowledge that the end is near, but never knowing when that final day will come.  The past few months we have been making every opportunity to be with her, we knew this was coming, and we were going to make as many memories with her as we could, but there will always be more memories we want to share with her. ...

Bread Baking Adventure

Lets talk about bread...... I have a love/hate relationship with the stuff. I LOVE the taste of it, but I HATE what it does to me. Lately I have been on a search for healthier foods for me and my family, and since my daughter has a milk allergy, I have focusing most of my searches around what she needs the most ( or in this case what she cant have- milk based products) I have come up with a few great milk-less recipes that we love, like this Milk-less Pancake Recipe  and this awesome milk-less Muffin base that we use all the time. I love mixing up the add-in ingredients to make different muffins that my daughter can enjoy. In an attempt to know what we are putting in to our bodies, I have started making most of our snacks/meals from scratch...and while it takes a little more time and effort, I think it is worth it in the long run. I LOVE to bake, but I am not that great of a bread maker...I don't even own a bread machine! I can make pumpkin bread and sweet breads.......

For Better or For Worse

In just a few short days I will have been married to my best friend for 17 years!! The last 17 years have flown past us, and I find myself drifting back and reminiscing about our life together. This man, that I have given my heart to, that I look up to, that leads our family, that LOVES me for who I am....he is mine. For better or for worse :) A brief summary of our life together just so you can know how awesome he is. On our 1st date, I collapsed and wound up at the ER with Meningitis. He stayed with me in the ER and then came over EVER day to read to me (This is when I fell in love with him). When I wound up dehydrated and had to go get fluids, he went with me! When I freaked out because  they needed to take more blood, he held my hand (pretty sure I broke some fingers...I am TERRIFIED of needles) He stuck with me. When we got engaged and I turned into a bridezilla...Ok maybe not that bad, but I was super stressed, he just said: "whatever you want." He stuck w...